Milton Hershey School Announces Historic Names of 32 New Student Homes
As part of President Pete Gurt’s 2020 Vision strategic goal, Milton Hershey School is expanding enrollment to 2,300 students in order to give a life full of possibilities to more students. To provide a quality home life for these new students in a safe and nurturing environment, 32 student homes are currently being built on the new “Legacy Campus.”
Legacy Campus honors and celebrates the individuals and places that played a significant role in the lives of Milton and Catherine Hershey and the development of the school.
MHS announced the name of each building, including the recreation center. See how each home has historic ties to our founders:
Arthur R. Whiteman ’27 Center
In honor of an individual who has a significant connection to MHS school history, the Arthur R. Whiteman ’27 Center will serve as a recreation center for activities and meetings for students, staff, and the public. Mr. Whiteman was the first Alumnus of the Year (1954) and first graduate to serve on the Board of Managers. Personally selected by Mr. Hershey, he served as Treasurer (1939-1956) and Secretary of the Board of Managers.
Paris Circle (4 Homes)
1. Witmer— D. Paul Witmer was appointed by Mr. Hershey to serve as HIS Superintendent (1938-1951) upon the death of George Copenhaver. He was the architect for Catherine Hall and Hotel Hershey as well as many other iconic buildings in the town of Hershey.
2. Lebkicher— W.H. “Lebbie” Lebkicher joined Mr. Hershey in 1880 for his first business venture in Philadelphia. He remained a lifelong advisor and friend, serving as the first farm and real estate manager for the Hershey interests.
3. Snyder— John E. Snyder served as chief legal counsel for Mr. Hershey and the Hershey entities. He coordinated the purchase of The Homestead in 1896 and sale of the Lancaster Caramel Company in 1900. Snyder also authored the Deed of Trust, which established Hershey Industrial School in 1909.
4. Snavely— Martha Snavely was the maternal aunt of Mr. Hershey. She never married, but devoted her entire life to her nephew’s success—providing labor, moral and financial support for his efforts in Philadelphia and Lancaster.
Sarena Lane (9 Homes)
5. Spring Garden— This is the street location of Mr. Hershey’s first business in Philadelphia (935 Spring Garden Street).
6. Lancaster— One of three Pennsylvania counties named in the Deed of Trust, along with Dauphin and Lebanon.
7. Jamestown— The birthplace of Catherine Hershey (Jamestown, NY).
8. Rose Garden— Located on Pat’s Hill adjacent to Catherine Hall, the Hershey Rose Garden opened to the public in May 1937.
9. Parkview— This historical name is associated with several facilities located near Hersheypark, including Parkview Manor, Hershey Parkview Golf Course, and Parkview Golf Clubhouse (now offices).
10. Rosario— The site of Mr. Hershey’s Cuban Agricultural School (1925-1935), and the location of Mr. Hershey’s Cuban home.
11. Lebanon— One of three Pennsylvania counties named in the Deed of Trust, along with Dauphin and Lancaster.
12. Caramel— Mr. Hershey achieved his first business success in the manufacture of caramels with the Lancaster Caramel Company. The secret to his success was his use of fresh milk, which set him apart from his competitors. Founded in 1886, Hershey sold his caramel company in 1900 to focus solely on the manufacture of chocolate.
13. Nine Points— This was the location of Henry Hershey’s farm in Bart Township, Lancaster County, where Mr. Hershey spent many of his formative years.
Aichele Court (5 Homes)
14. Philadelphia— The city where Mr. Hershey established his first business.
15. Cairo— A favorite vacation spot of Milton and Catherine Hershey, as well as the location of Heliopolis Hotel (the inspiration for Hotel Hershey).
16. New York— The city where Milton and Catherine were married and where the Deed of Trust was signed.
17. Denver— The city where Mr. Hershey learned the secret of making caramels with fresh milk.
18. Chicago— The city where Mr. Hershey saw and purchased his first chocolate-making equipment during the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893.
Catherine Way (14 Homes)
19. Murrie— William F.R. Murrie began working with Mr. Hershey in Lancaster in 1895. He served as the first president of the Hershey Chocolate Co.
20. Gumpher— Joseph S. Gumpher ’35 was an alumnus in the field of finance. He began his business career at Hershey Lumber Co. in 1935 and spent 38 years in positions of increasing responsibility at the Hershey Bank/Hershey Trust Co.
21. Hinkle— Samuel F. Hinkle began working for Hershey Chocolate in 1924 as a chemist and served as company president from 1956-1965.
22. Royer— Joseph R. Royer was the Lancaster confectioner who taught Mr. Hershey the art of candy-making during his apprenticeship in 1872-1876.
23. Sweeney— The surname name of Catherine Hershey.
24. Wagner— The surname of the first two students, Nelson and Irwin, who enrolled at Hershey Industrial School.
25. Ashenfelder— Harold H. Ashenfelder ‘40 is the first Gold Star Alumnus. He was killed in action in June of 1942 as a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Atlantic Air Patrol.
26. Herr— Harry N. Herr was a Lancaster civil engineer hired by Mr. Hershey to lay out town, water, sewer, power systems, and trolley lines in Hershey.
27. Markley— Earle H. Markley was hired by Mr. Hershey as the first director of vocational education for HIS/MHS. He also served in a similar capacity for Hershey public schools, which at the time included HIS students.
28. Prudence— As wife of Superintendent George Copenhaver, Prudence Copenhaver played an integral role in shaping the home program of the school. She made sure students were housed, clothed, and fed in a manner consistent with the Hersheys’ wishes. She established procedures and routines in the student home that became the model followed for years to come.
29. Spring Creek— The original name of former student farmhome Silverbrook, which opened Jan. 23, 1933. It’s also the name of a creek that winds through town and the MHS campus.
30. Cloverdale— The name of a cottage home/breeding farm opened in 1915 and adjacent former student farmhome opened on Nov. 12, 1931.
31. Bloomingdale— The name of a former student farmhome opened on May 7, 1932.
32. Longmeads— The name of a former student farmhome opened Feb. 16, 1933.