Top 10 Spartan Ice Cream Flavors to Try This Summer
To celebrate the start of summer, Milton Hershey School’s Spartan Ice Cream Center is opening on Friday, June 21 at noon. As part of the school’s Agricultural and Environmental Education (AEE) program, student interns learn how to make homemade ice cream and operate the campus ice cream shop multiple days a week.
Here’s the scoop!
Ice Cream Center Hours
- Location: The shop is located near the ice rink at 655 Brook Drive, Hershey, Pa. Signs will be located on campus to direct you.
- Hours: It will be open Tuesday-Friday each week from noon to 2:30 p.m. The last day the shop will be open is Thursday, Aug. 15.
- Price: Hand-dipped, ready-to-eat ice cream cones are available for $2.50, and take-home half-gallons are priced at $6.
Picking Your Flavor
Spartan ice cream is known for being thick, creamy, and extremely fresh. Made with milk, cream, sugar, and various mix-ins like candy and fruit, MHS students create approximately 32 premium flavors that are available on rotation throughout the summer.
Students incorporate fresh fruit, including peaches and blueberries, that are grown on campus through the school’s AEE program. They make the ice cream continuously throughout the summer, which means it’s rarely more than one or two days old and always at peak freshness.
Students live by the philosophy that the best flavor is whatever you want it to be. But if you’re not sure where to start, try one of 10 MHS classics that rotate throughout the summer:
- Peanut Butter Cup: With sweet vanilla ice cream and Reese’s® peanut butter cups, this is a fan favorite.
- Honey Vanilla: Looking for vanilla ice cream with a twist? Try Honey Vanilla made with fresh honey!
- Malted Memories: This MHS recipe remains a secret, but it tastes like an old-fashioned malted milkshake.
- Blueberry Ripple: With local blueberries rippled throughout vanilla ice cream, this was a top choice last summer!
- Teaberry: Who can resist the timeless flavor of teaberry? Minty and fruity at the same time, this unique ice cream is great for all ages.
- Peach: Our peach ice cream is refreshing and fruity on a hot day. And students are known to mix in mango throughout the summer!
- Kit Kat®: A favorite from last summer, our Kit Kat® ice cream includes chunks of the beloved candy and creamy ice cream.
- Cookies and Cream: Can’t decide between chocolate and vanilla? Cookies and cream is the best of both worlds!
- Strawberry Cheesecake: Made with fresh strawberries and an extra creamy consistency, this popular flavor tastes like your favorite summertime dessert.
- HEATH Bar Crunch: For toffee and chocolate lovers, the HEATH Bar Crunch doesn’t disappoint!
You’ll also find dozens of other flavors added throughout the summer, including classics like chocolate and vanilla. Find your favorite this summer!
Milton Hershey School students are involved in every step of the ice cream-making process, including designing and printing labels, advertising, customer service, and inventory control and management. The goal is to help students develop entrepreneurial and problem-solving skills through an authentic, student-run business model.