Milton Hershey School Agriculture Students Take On 2024 Pennsylvania Farm Show Competition
Milton Hershey School students involved in the Agriculture and Environmental Education (AEE) clubs are using what they’ve learned in the barns on campus and in the classroom to take on some of the best competitors in the state at the 108th annual Pennsylvania Farm Show.
This year there is a mix of MHS students who are veteran Farm Show competitors and a few first-timers gearing up for the exciting week. For junior Regina (Gina) Fox, she is excited for the opportunity to show off the goats she has worked hard to train at her first-ever competition.
“The Farm Show is a big and busy place so it was important that we prepared the goats for all the noises that they could encounter during the competitions,” described Gina. “We put music on during practice sessions, ran fans in the barns, and did other things to try to get them prepared for the noise and attention.”
MHS sophomore Tim Geynovich is not new to competition as he also represented MHS at the 2023 Farm Show where he showed cattle. This year he is also adding a sheep to his schedule.
“I’m excited to show the same cow that I worked with at last year’s Farm Show. She has also grown in her stature and skills and I’m glad we both can learn from last year and bring those fundamentals into this year’s show,” said Tim. “Agriculture is an art and a skill. You have to have a connection with your animals and there is special communication that happens in the ring. Practice builds on that connection, and the animals will know what to do.”
Gina, Tim, and the five other MHS students are all members of the 4H, Animal Club, and other groups as part of the AEE program that introduces students to various careers and opportunities in the agricultural, horticultural, and environmental fields. The Pennsylvania Farm Show allows them to see the vast community that is there to support them and encourage them as they become the next generation in agriculture. They are also getting authentic work experience tending to their animals alongside career farmers and livestock workers.
MHS AEE staff and students will be onsite at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex competing and answering questions about the school’s program. Follow Milton Hershey School on Instagram for some behind-the-scenes content from our students throughout the week.
2024 Pennsylvania Farm Show Award Highlights
Congratulations to all of our MHS students who participated in the 2024 PA Farm Show. See the award recipients from this year’s farm show below.
- Timothy Geynovich, MHS Sophomore: 1st in Early Summer Yearling Heifer Junior Show and 2nd Early Summer Yearling Heifer Open Show
- Logan Keister, MHS Junior: 2nd in Late Junior Yearling Heifer Junior Show and 6th in Late Junior Yearling Heifers Open Show
- Melanie Bartholomew, MHS Senior: 3rd in Late Junior Yearling Heifer Junior Show and 7th in Late Junior Yearling Heifer Open Show
- Mia Ramos, MHS Senior: 1st in Early Junior Yearling Heifers and Senior Champion Heifer Junior Show and 2nd in Early Junior Yearling Heifer and Reserve Champion Senior Heifer Open Show
- Gavin Fenstermaker, MHS Sophomore:
- Junior Show-1st in Does in Milk 2 Years and Under 3 Nubian, Reserve Senior Champion Nubian, Reserve Grand Champion Nubian
- Open Show – 4th in Does in Milk 2 Years and Under 3 Nubian, and 3rd in Dam and Daughter
- Regina Fox, MHS Junior:
- Junior Show – 1st in Kids born Jan. 1, 2022-Dec. 31, 2022 Lamancha, Junior Kid Champion, 3rd for Does in Milk 2 years and Under 3 Lamancha
- Open Show – 1st in Kids born Jan. 1, 2022-Dec. 31, 2022 Lamancha, and 3rd in Does in Milk 2 Years and Under 3 Lamancha
- Logan Keister, MHS Junior:
- Junior Show – 1st Does in Milk 2 years and Under 3, Senior Champion, Grand Champion, Champion Challenge/Best of Breed Lamancha, and 7th Dam and Daughter
- Open Show – 4th in Does in Milk 2 Years and Under Lamancha
- Ishalay Willford, MHS Junior:
- Junior Show – 1st in Kids born April 1, 2023 and After Nubian, Junior Kid Champion Nubian
- Open Show – 3rd in Kids Born April 1, 2023 and After Nubian, 3rd in Dam and Daughter
- Melanie Bartholomew, MHS Senior:
- Junior Show – 2nd in Kids born Jan. 1, 2022-Dec. 21, 2022 Lamancha
- Open Show – 2nd in Kids Born Jan 1, 2022-Dec. 31, 2022 Lamancha
- Mia Ramos, MHS Senior:
- Junior Show – 4th in Kids born April 1, 2023 and After Recorded Grade
- Open Show – 7th in Dam and Daughter, and 14th in Kids born April 1, 2023 and After Recorded Grade
- Tim Geynovich, MHS Sophomore: 3rd Southdown Yearling Ewe Sept. 1, 2021-Aug. 31, 2022 in Junior Show and 4th Southdown Yearling Ewe Sept. 1, 2021-Aug. 31, 2022 in Open Show
- Ishalay Willford, MHS Junior: 2nd Southdown Yearling Ewe Sept. 1, 2021-Aug. 31, 2022 in Junior Show and 3rd Southdown Yearling Ewe Sept. 1, 2021-Aug. 31, 2022 in Open Show