Landmarks of Milton Hershey School
Historical Buildings of Milton Hershey School
The Milton Hershey School campus contains a number of historically important and architecturally significant buildings. These structures are an important physical link to the past and a tangible reminder of the philanthropic spirit of the Hersheys.
Originally constructed circa 1817, Kinderhaus is the oldest building on the campus of the School and now serves as home to the Department of School History. Kinderhaus (German for children’s home), was originally a stone farmhouse built by Isaac Hershey, Milton Hershey’s great-grandfather. Milton Hershey purchased the home and surrounding farm in 1906 and used the property to house students beginning in 1912.
Photo (Clockwise from top): Kinderhaus, 1912; Kinderhaus, 2006; Kinderhaus, 2011
Originally constructed in 1826, The Homestead was the birthplace of Milton Hershey in 1857 and where he built the experimental chocolate factory to perfect his milk chocolate formula.
Milton and Catherine Hershey lived here from 1905 until 1908 while their permanent home, High Point Mansion, was under construction. The Homestead also served as the first school building and residence for the boys of the Hershey Industrial School in 1910.
Originally constructed in 1934 in part to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the signing of the Deed of Trust, Catherine Hall was originally constructed as a junior-senior high
school for grades six through twelve. The building has undergone a number of renovations and name changes over the years.
Completely modernized and refurbished in 2007, the building now serves as a middle school for students in grades five through eight.
Photo (Clockwise from top): Catherine Hall 2013; Junior-Senior High School, 1934; Senior Hall, 1960s.
Opened and dedicated on September 13, 1970, Founders Hall was built over a three-year period in the late 1960s as a tribute to the School’s founders, Milton S. and Catherine Hershey. The School’s most recognizable building, Founders Hall, contains offices for the administrators and business functions of the School. It also includes a Visitors Center, where more than 50,000 guests per year learn about the School’s mission through various displays and a short film about the Milton Hershey School.
The building contains a 2,700-seat auditorium where students attend weekly chapel services, assemblies, and commencement ceremonies. The cafeteria in Founders Hall provides quality food service for high school students as well as staff.
Photo (Clockwise from top): Founders Hall now; Construction in late 1960s; finished product 1970; construction in 1960s.
High Point Mansion
The home of Milton and Catherine Hershey from 1908 until Catherine’s death in 1915, High Point has served the Hershey community as a private residence, home to the Hershey Country Club, as well as corporate offices for the Hershey Company and Hershey Trust Company.
Today, elements of High Point have been restored to its original appearance as an educational experience primarily for the students of the School.
Photo (Clockwise from top): High Point Mansion & Grounds; High Point 2000s; Boys eating breakfast at High Point circa 1912; High Point, 1913.