Careers as a Houseparent
Houseparents shape lives
Houseparents at Milton Hershey School significantly impact the lives of our students. MHS has stayed true to the Hersheys’ plans to raise students in an environment that was non-institutional. Because houseparents work so closely with students, houseparents are important role models, teaching students life lessons and core values.
As a residential school, we truly care for the needs of the whole child, and houseparents play a substantial role in ensuring student success.
Our houseparents manage homes of eight to 12 students of the same gender and around the same age. Houseparents nurture students while helping to build character and providing academic support. From assisting with homework to overseeing chores and from preparing meals to playing board games, our houseparents create a family-like atmosphere in their student homes.
What’s a typical day like?
Houseparents help students prepare for the school day by providing a nutritious breakfast, making sure students are appropriately dressed and ready for school, and seeing students off for the school day.
During school hours, houseparents are off duty and free to enjoy the many amenities on campus, such as our walking paths, fitness center, and outdoor swimming pool in the summer months. There also are many conveniences in the town of Hershey.
When the school day ends, houseparents coordinate the family meal, answer questions about homework assignments, supervise household chores, and manage student activity schedules.
Weekend schedules are less structured, allowing houseparents to lead students in recreational activities. Houseparents may take students to a local cultural event, enjoy an afternoon of crafts, or spend a night at one of our on-campus campsites. Sunday Chapel Service is a requirement for all students and on-duty houseparents.
Full-time houseparenting comes with many benefits
- The satisfaction of knowing you are shaping lives.
- Couples earn at least $70,000 annually.
- Total compensation package includes a rent-free apartment, meals and utilities.
- Complete benefits package.
- Relocation assistance.
- Use of athletic facilities (fitness center, ice-skating rink, swimming pools).
- Certified houseparent training program.
- A second MHS family.
Working at Milton Hershey School means putting our students first. Our job requirements ensure we provide the best support for their growth – we’re happy to answer your questions, but please note these requirements are not flexible. They help us make sure we have the best people in place to nurture and protect our students.
Every couple must be legally married for at least three years and each person must be at least 27 years of age at time of application. Additional prerequisites include:
- Minimum of high school diploma.
- No more than two dependent children in residence.
- Prior experience working with children (preferably children from lower-income families)
- Able and willing to work in student homes of either gender and any age group (grades PreK – 12).
- Ability to successfully complete extensive clearance process.
- Ability to meet health and physical requirements of the position.
- Driving records and credit history in good standing.
- NO PETS are permitted.
Contact Clint Barnes at (717) 520-2317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.