Board of Managers
Our Governing Body
Milton Hershey School’s Deed of Trust established the school in 1909. In it, Milton S. and Catherine S. Hershey stated the purpose of the school was to nurture and educate children in need. They identified a Board of Managers as its governing body.
Since then, these managers have been charged with making decisions about Trust assets. Ultimately, they are responsible for ensuring the long term sustainability of Milton Hershey School.
MHS is grateful to these dedicated community leaders for sharing their time, talent, and treasures with our students and school. Learn more about our Managers by reading their profiles.
Jan L. Bergen
Appointed: Director 2017, Vice Chair 2017-2020
Highlights: Ms. Bergen is a well-known and highly regarded health care executive who is the recently retired President & Chief Executive Officer of Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health. A native of Pennsylvania, she has exceptional leadership and management experience in complex organizations operating in highly regulated environments. She also is a trained social worker with a real understanding of the issues and challenges facing children in need and their families. Ms. Bergen has served on numerous community, philanthropic, and health care related boards, and currently serves on several non-profit boards as well as a corporate board and the prestigious American Hospital Association Foster G. McGaw Prize Committee. Ms. Bergen has extensive experience in how boards work and how to effectively and efficiently guide profit and nonprofit institutions.
- President & Chief Executive Officer, Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Bryn Mawr Rehab, Jefferson Health System
- Senior Vice President & Administrator/Chief Executive Officer, Bryn Mawr Hospital
- President & Chief Executive Officer, Pennsylvania Association of Rehabilitation Facilities
- B.A., Anthropology and Sociology, The George School, Lafayette College
- Master’s-level course work in Business and Social Work, The University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, and Harvard University
James W. Brown
Appointed: Director 2016
Highlights: Mr. Brown brings vast experience in both the public and private sectors to the Boards of Hershey Trust Company and Milton Hershey School. He has a long-standing interest in education, particularly for disadvantaged children. He has served as an adjunct professor at Villanova University, a trustee of the Gesu School (an inner-city Catholic grade school), a founding trustee of the Young Scholars Charter School (a school with an economically disadvantaged student body), and a trustee for Immaculata University. In addition, Mr. Brown has significant experience in government, finance and private equity/venture capital. His familiarity with policy and operations of government and his experience as an investor in and director of both public and private companies bring value to the Boards.
- Chief of Staff to U.S. Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr.
- Founding Partner, SCP Private Equity Partners
- Chief of Staff to Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey
- Pennsylvania Secretary of General Services
- Partner, Dilworth Paxson
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- B.A., Villanova University
Appointed: Director 2018
Highlights: Ms. English is the former President and Chief Executive Officer of Fight For Children, a highly visible Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit that improves education opportunities for low-income children. She serves on the Boards of the Educational Testing Service, the DC Public Education Fund, Fight for Children, the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) Foundation, the Gladstone Companies, and DC Prep Public Charter School. Ms. English has had a lifelong commitment to improving educational opportunities for the underserved. This focus aligns her work with the mission of the Hersheys’ legacy. Her 30+ years of business and nonprofit experience provides the Boards with extensive strategic and operational management expertise in education, and exceptional leadership capabilities.
- President & CEO, Fight for Children
- President, Discovery Communications Consumer Products and Discovery.com
- Senior Vice President, National Geographic Society
- Vice President, Corporate Planning and Business Development, Marriott Corporation
- Senior Engagement Manager, McKinsey & Company
- M.P.P.M, Yale School of Management
- B.A., International Affairs, Sweet Briar College
Appointed: Director 2023
Highlights: Ms. Figlar began her career as an early childhood teacher and is currently the executive director of the Birmingham Foundation in Pittsburgh. She previously served as the vice president of learning at The Heinz Endowments and the deputy secretary of the Pennsylvania Office of Child Development and Early Learning where she helped set policy and practice for publicly funded early childhood education throughout the state. Prior to that, she was executive director of the Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children. She holds leadership positions on several boards and earned a bachelor’s degree in child development from the University of Pittsburgh and a master’s degree in early childhood education from Kent State University.
- Executive Director, The Birmingham Foundation
- Vice President of Learning, The Heinz Endowments
- Deputy Secretary, Office of Child Development and Early Learning
- Executive Director, Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children
- Ed. D., Leadership, and Learning in Organizations, Vanderbilt University
- Ed. M., Education, Early Childhood Education/Early Education of the Handicapped Concentration, Kent State University
- B.A., Child Development/Child Care, University of Pittsburgh
Appointed: Director 2019
Highlights: Mr. Katzir recently completed seven years as the Chief Executive Officer of Alliance College-Ready Public Schools, a nonprofit public charter school network that serves 12,500 low-income students and supports 18,000 alumni across 26 public charter schools in Los Angeles, California. His experience in education leadership best practice allows him to bring important insights to the Boards. In addition to Mr. Katzir’s overall leadership experience, his roles throughout his career demonstrate a commitment to the plight of those less fortunate and align with the mission of Hershey Trust Company and Milton Hershey School. He brings significant strength in the areas of education and child development. Mr. Katzir is a significant contributor to the Boards in each of these areas.
- Chief Executive Officer, Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
- Founding Managing Director, The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation
- Los Angeles Regional Director, Sylvan Learning Systems
- Executive Director, UCLA School Management Program
- Chief Operating Officer, Teach for America
- M.B.A., Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration
- B.A., History, Dartmouth College
James C. Katzman
Appointed: Director 2017
Highlights: Mr. Katzman is Senior Vice President, Business Development for General Electric (GE). He is a former partner of Goldman Sachs, with extensive experience in investment banking. Born in Central Pennsylvania, Mr. Katzman brings sophisticated skills in the financial area and has a personal interest in education and childhood development. He is a Trustee of the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Valley (AZ), a Trustee of the San Francisco Ballet, a member of the President’s Leadership Council at Dartmouth College, and a member of the Advisory Board of the Program for Financial Studies at Columbia Business School, where he guest lectures on financial topics. Mr. Katzman’s professional expertise and personal commitment to the mission brings exceptional value to the Boards.
- Senior Vice President, Business Development, General Electric
- Partner and Head of M&A for the West Region, Goldman Sachs
- M.B.A., Columbia Business School
- A.B., Economics, Dartmouth College
M. Diane Koken, Vice Chair
Appointed: Director 2016, Chairman 2021-2023, Vice Chair 2024
Highlights: Ms. Koken is a legal/regulatory consultant and volunteers as a court appointed special advocate for children. She served as Insurance Commissioner in Pennsylvania for ten years in the cabinets of Republican and Democratic governors. Ms. Koken had accountability for and expanded the Children’s Health Insurance Program. She served as the longest president of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. As Board chairman, Ms. Koken brings to the Boards professional expertise in legal, regulatory matters, insurance, and risk management. She has extensive board experience on Fortune 100 and public company boards which provides a solid understanding of board governance.
Ms. Koken is a native and lifelong resident of Pennsylvania. Ms Koken is passionate about the mission of the Milton Hershey School and is focused on fulfilling and furthering the mission and legacy of its founders, Milton and Catherine Hershey.
- Legal/Regulatory Consultant
- Commissioner, Pennsylvania Department of Insurance
- Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Provident Mutual Life Insurance Company
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law
- B.S., Education, Millersville University of Pennsylvania
Maria T. Kraus, Chairman
Appointed: Director 2018, Vice Chair 2021-2023, Chairman 2024
MHS Class of 1989
Highlights: Ms. Kraus has more than 25 years of experience and leadership in finance, strategy, and corporate development. She is a Certified Public Accountant and qualifies as a financial expert, as defined by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. She is currently the Chief Financial Officer of Wedgewood Pharmacy. Ms. Kraus also sits on the Board of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania. Ms. Kraus brings extensive financial expertise along with her many years of business management, corporate and board governance to the Boards.
Ms. Kraus is an alumna of Milton Hershey School, having graduated as valedictorian in 1989, and is a recipient of the Milton Hershey School Alumni Career Award. Enthusiastic about the mission, she serves as a role model for future generations of students. As Chairman of the Boards, Ms. Kraus is proud to advance the legacy of Milton and Catherine Hershey.
- Chief Financial Officer, Wedgewood Pharmacy
- Chief Financial Officer of Accelerated Enrollment Solutions, a business unit of Pharmaceutical Product Development LLC
- Executive Vice President, Corporate Development & Strategy, Bioclinica, Inc.
- Vice President Finance and Corporate Controller, Bioclinica, Inc.
- Senior Associate, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- B.S., Accounting, Pennsylvania State University
Amy K. Marsh
Appointed: Director 2019
Highlights: Amy K. Marsh is the former Chief Investment Officer and Treasurer of the University of Pittsburgh where she was responsible for managing the assets and liabilities of the University and its endowment. Ms. Marsh is currently a director of the Pittsburgh Foundation and vice chair of its investment committee, and she is a member of the investment committees for the boards of the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Ms. Marsh is also a trustee emerita and past treasurer of Sewickley Academy, where she continues to serve on its endowment committee. Ms. Marsh is additionally a director of the board for two institutional investor funds managed by Global Forest Partners LP and is a past director of the board of the Federal Farm Credit Banks Funding Corporation. Ms. Marsh further brings to the Boards a keen interest in education and human development, including the mission and legacy of Milton and Catherine Hershey.
- Chief Investment Officer and Treasurer, University of Pittsburgh
- Manager and Group Head – Corporate Banking, Mellon Bank
- M.M., Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University
- A.B., Mathematics and Business Administration, Wittenberg University
Melissa L. Peeples-Fullmore
Appointed: Director 2017
MHS Class of 1991
Highlights: Dr. Peeples-Fullmore is an education professional and brings important experience to the Boards in areas of school administration, at-risk/dependent children, and residential childhood education. Her professional and life experiences have demonstrated her ability to lead and influence.
An alumna of Milton Hershey School, Dr. Peeples-Fullmore’s connection to the Hershey legacy runs deep. She is a recipient of the Milton Hershey School Alumni Career Achievement Award. Given her background, Dr. Peeples-Fullmore has unique insights into the educational and social issues that face the students of Milton Hershey School. Dr. Peeples-Fullmore is committed to service and giving back which makes her a valuable member of the Boards.
- Chief Schools Officer, KIPP Jacksonville Schools
- Program Officer for the Aspiring Leaders Program at Teaching Trust
- Teacher and Administrator in Title I Public Schools
- Education Director, AMIKids-Day Treatment and Residential Programs
- Ed.D., Education Policy and Leadership, Southern Methodist University
- Ed.M., Leadership, Policy, and Reform, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- M.Ed., Educational Leadership and Elementary Education, Florida A&M University
- B.A., Communication, Lynn University
Appointed: Director 2019
MHS Class of 2004
Highlights: Mr. Robbin-Coker is Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Carry1st, the leading venture-backed publisher of social games and interactive content in Africa. Prior to founding Carry1st, he served as Vice President at The Carlyle Group, where he invested in a range of private businesses and supported senior executives to implement key strategic initiatives. Mr. Robbin-Coker began his career with Morgan Stanley, advising on M&A and capital markets transactions across the US, Europe, and Africa. He is a Venture Partner at The Raba Partnership and Adaverse, early-stage investment funds focused on emerging markets fintech and blockchain, respectively. Mr. Robbin-Coker brings to the Boards his expertise in corporate governance, institutional investing, and financial control; coupled with an unwavering commitment to the mission of Milton and Catherine Hershey.
Mr. Robbin-Coker is an alumnus of Milton Hershey School, having graduated as valedictorian in 2004, and is a recipient of the 2009 Alumni Achievement Award for Academic Excellence.
- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Carry1st
- Vice President, The Carlyle Group
- Financial Analyst, Morgan Stanley
- B.A., Political Science, Stanford University
Appointed: Director 2014
Highlights: Mr. Saltzman is the Co-Chair of the Atria Health Collaborative, a new not-for-profit dedicated to improving healthcare and the Co-Founder of Atria Health, a start-up company hoping to improve healthcare delivery. He previously served for 27 years as the executive director of the Robin Hood Foundation, New York City’s largest poverty-fighting organization. He was a founding board member of Robin Hood, the Relay Graduate School of Education, Zearn, Uncommon Schools New York, NPower, Together Education and Pure. Earlier in his career, he served as the special assistant to the president of the Board of Education of the City of New York, the nation’s largest school system with 1.1 million students. Mr. Saltzman was named one of Time Magazine’s 100 Innovators. His experience provides to the Boards unique and valuable insight into poverty, education, not-for-profit management and responsible investing. Mr. Saltzman’s expertise is in the areas of education, at-risk child care, and non-profits. His background aligns with accountable philanthropy and the mission of preserving Mr. and Mrs. Hershey’s legacy.
- Co-Chair of the Atria Health Collaborative
- Executive Director, Founding Board Member, Robin Hood Foundation
- Special Assistant to the President, Board of Education of the city of New York
- M.P.A., Columbia University
- B.A., Brown University
Harold Singleton III
Appointed: Director 2023
Highlights: Mr. Singleton has held executive, portfolio management and analyst roles in asset management firms for more than 30 years. He currently serves on the corporate board of directors at WisdomTree, Inc. Previously, he served as vice president, managing director/head of manager selection and portfolio construction, at Lincoln Financial Group, overseeing a $200 billion investment platform covering all asset classes. Prior to that, he was managing director/head of asset management companies and simultaneously global head of retail and intermediary sales at PineBridge Investments. Earlier in his career, Harold was executive director at UBS Global Asset Management. During his time at Lincoln Financial Group, he lived in the Philadelphia area and served on the board of directors of the Urban League of Philadelphia. Harold holds an M.B.A. in finance from the University of Chicago, a Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology and is a chartered financial analyst. He has been recognized multiple times as one of Savoy Magazine’s Top 100 Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America.
- Independent Director, WisdomTree
- Vice President, Managing Director/Head of Manager Selection and Portfolio Construction, Lincoln Financial Group
- Vice President, Head of Client Portfolio Management, Lincoln Financial Group
- Independent Director, The Vantagepoint Funds Board of Directors
- M.B.A., Finance, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- B.A., Chemical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Appointed: Director 2023
MHS Class of 1987
Highlights: Mr. Wolfe enrolled at Milton Hershey School at the age of 11. After graduating from MHS and Bloomsburg University in 1992, he became an entrepreneur and self-taught programmer and started a series of internet companies, including MyCoupons. Jason later built Direct Response Technologies, Inc., an affiliate tracking platform which scaled to 12 billion monthly transactions. Most notably, he created GiftCards.com, which is the largest gift card website in the world generating more than $1 billion per year in sales. Jason was chairman of the Pittsburgh Technology Council and serves on the board of Family Design Resources, which provides adoption/foster services for needy children. During his career, Jason has received a variety of honors, including Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year, the Pittsburgh Technology Council’s CEO of the Year and the Milton Hershey School Alumnus of the Year.
- CEO and Founder, Wolfe
- CEO/Founder, GiftYa
- CEO/Founder, GiftCards.com
- CEO/President of Direct Response Technologies, Digital River
- B.A., Marketing, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania