MHS puts campus safety and security first. We employ a professionally trained staff that is dedicated to keeping students and staff safe. Our department has received, and continues to receive, nationally recognized public safety and security certifications.
Highest Standard of Safety
Campus Safety provides the highest standard of safety and security. From fielding communications and dispatching resources, to handling emergency service requests, our internal team is on-task.
Physically, the department is located prominently on central campus. Its new, state-of-the-art building accommodates this growing team and its advanced security technology.
Campus Safety Department Mission
This department provides the MHS community a safe and secure environment in which to learn, live, work, and grow. It achieves the mission by:
- Partnering and working with MHS students and staff
- Providing exceptional safety and security services
- Affording dignity and respect to all people
Our Future in Focus 2025 Strategic Plan reinforces these goals in many ways.
Programs and Policies to Enhance Student Safety
Our team is professional and dedicated. We maintain stringent protocols and procedures to ensure child safety. Campus Safety employees undergo a robust training program that continually evolves through professional development. They receive thorough emergency medical and safety training. Read details on how they keep the MHS community safe.
- The campus is monitored with approximately 700 cameras.
- Students and staff are required to wear photo ID badges that also serve as access credentials.
- Student homes and campus buildings are locked at all times through electronic access control and enhanced security systems.
- Campus Safety officers patrol the campus 24/7, 365 days each year.
- Campus Safety officers patrol via foot, bike, and fully marked and equipped patrol vehicles enabling them to cover all areas of campus.
- The Campus Safety team continually trains and revises its practices in dealing with critical incidents.
- All MHS employees, contractors, and volunteers participate in ACT126 Child Abuse training, per state law.
- Educating our campus in how to respond during an emergency, whether at school or home, is a top priority.
- Drills and exercises are routinely conducted. Feedback is reviewed to ensure methods continue to evolve.
- Our students also receive training in safe boundaries with their peers.
MHS exceeds national benchmarks in campus security policies and procedures. Our services include:
- Around-the-clock patrols
- Campus monitoring
- Emergency planning
We are proud to be the only pre-K through 12th grade residential school with dual accreditation status from the Commission on Accreditation for the Law Enforcement Agencies. MHS Campus Safety achieved this designation in 2017 and 2020.
StormReady Community Certification
MHS was named a National Weather Service StormReady Community in 2016. We have maintained the designation ever since. A StormReady certification shows two things:
- We have a recognized formal hazardous weather plan
- We have a commitment to maintaining a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center