MHS Fast Facts
Why We’re Here
Because a family’s income should not determine a child’s outcome, Milton Hershey School offers a cost-free education to qualifying students. Founded over 110 years ago by Milton and Catherine Hershey, MHS continues to change lives. Our fast facts page provides an overview of our school.
Welcome to MHS
Milton Hershey School is a top-tier private school for qualifying students in pre-K through 12th grade. It offers life-changing opportunities and experiences that other schools simply cannot. Based on the Deed of Trust left by Milton and Catherine Hershey, the school covers all costs to this day for qualifying students.
Get a snapshot of what MHS is all about. Then, go deeper.
Explore Enrollment at MHS
Take a deeper look at the enrollment process knowing we’re here to help at every step along the way.
MHS Thought Leaders
MHS hires industry leaders to help our students be their greatest selves and pursue their passions.
Milton Hershey School accepts resilient students who meet admission criteria and complete our thorough admission process satisfactorily.
Fast Facts: MHS Basics
Founded in 1909 by chocolate industrialist Milton S. Hershey and his wife Catherine, Milton Hershey School offers qualifying children an exceptional education with all costs covered. We educate children in pre-K through 12th grade.
MHS is located in beautiful Hershey, Pennsylvania.
It is 25 minutes from Harrisburg and 90 minutes from Baltimore. It is just under two hours from Philadelphia.
At more than 7,000 acres, the MHS campus is one of the largest in the United States.
The MHS campus is one of the most well-resourced, technologically advanced, and well-maintained educational institutions in the nation. Our facilities includes:
- 203 buildings
- Six swimming pools
- Animal barns
- A 7,000-seat stadium
- 2,315 student computers
At MHS, each student is encouraged to be their greatest self. MHS classrooms have no walls, and students learn by doing, through programs that give them an early start on college and their careers.
Where Our Students Are From
We enroll students from across the United States.
- ~2,000 students, pre-K through 12th grade.
- There is an equal number of boys and girls.
- On average, our student demographic breakout is:
- 24% – Dauphin, Lancaster, and Lebanon Counties
- 48% – Other PA Counties
- 28% – States other than PA
Fast Facts: MHS Academics
MHS consists of three divisions. Each one emphasizes the specific needs of the ages it serves.
- Elementary Division: Pre-K through Fourth Grade
- Middle Division: Fifth through Eighth Grade
- Senior Division: Ninth through 12th Grade
MHS employs 190 caring, talented teachers committed to whole-child education.
We hire the best in their respective fields to give our students the best possible classroom experience.
Each MHS student graduates with at least one industry-recognized certification.
- Students choose and focus on one of 12 career paths.
- Students are encouraged to participate in internships/co-ops and/or apprenticeships.
All students are cared for in a loving, family-like environment. Education in the Judeo-Christian faith, the heritage of the school’s founders, is part of the MHS program and includes daily devotions and Sunday Chapel services.
- 180+ student homes, each with eight to 12 students, led by 450+ houseparents.
- Seniors live together in 10 Transitional Living apartment-style buildings to prepare them for independent living after graduation. Professional TL staff provide oversight.
Fast Facts: MHS Experience
MHS is committed to providing IT tools. We offer the technological education students need for future success. There are more computers than there are people at MHS!
IT points of pride include:
- High-tech “smart” classrooms
- Laptops for Senior Division students
- Computers in the student homes
- MHS offers experiences that help young people pursue their passions and grow.
- We offer sports, arts, leadership development, and so much more.
- Everything students need to participate is provided by the school.
Whatever they do after graduation, MHS students lead successful lives.
- Four out of five students generally plan to pursue some type of postsecondary education.
- MHS students can accrue up to $95,000 in scholarships for college or career education. Strong academic performance and good citizenship are the basis.
Included with All Costs Covered for Families
- Tuition and housing (with 24/7 security)
- Healthy meals and snacks
- School and casual clothing
- School supplies and computers
- Medical and dental care (including glasses and medications)
- Counseling services
- Tutoring and personal academic assistance
- All field trips, activities, and equipment (sports and instruments)
MHS is committed to expanding its mission. Our goal is to provide more children with this life-changing opportunity. We strive to grow enrollment to 2,300 students.
In the 2021-22 school year, Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning broke ground on its first Early Learning Resource Center in Hershey, Pa.