Cook – Part-Time
JOB ID: 23000114
Working at Milton Hershey School (MHS) is much more than a job. Each employee helps shape the lives of the students we serve and, every position at the school is designed to help our students thrive on campus and beyond. If that sounds fulfilling to you, MHS may be the perfect place for your next career move
MHS is currently seeking a part-time Cook to join the team. If you would enjoy using your culinary skills to make a positive difference for youth, consider Milton Hershey School! We have a unique part-time opportunity in which you would cook healthy dishes, interact with a diverse population of adults and students, and assist with a variety of responsibilities to help keep the extensive Food Service Department operating smoothly. Each day is different!
This service-orientated position provides the best possible menu components for the students and staff at the dining halls, residences, health center, catered events & special programs. It provides support to meet the food service program needs of the school such as preparing appealing and nutritious meals, fulfillment of menu order components, maintaining a food safe work environment (cleaning & sanitation) which will enhance the well-being of the students and staff. This position is under the direction of the Executive Chef and/or the Culinary Production Supervisor.
The work schedule will not exceed 29 hours per week and hours of operation may change due to seasonal or department needs. This is year-round position and its part of the Bargaining Local Union 464. The hourly rate starts at $25.02 and it will increase after the first year of employment. Part-time employees are eligible for a retirement savings plan, an employee assistance program (EAP), free lunches when on duty, and Hershey area discounts.
- High School Diploma or GED Required.
- Prior experience as a cook in a commercial kitchen environment with knowledge of modern methods of food preparation, health codes, sanitation principles & catering events.
- Culinary/catering and operation of large commercial kitchen equipment required.
- Valid NSF Serv-Safe Certification or ability to obtain upon hire within six months.
- Valid PA Driver’s License in good standing.
- HACCP training.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations and convert recipes.
- Ability to operate and care for institutional kitchen equipment.
- Physically capable to lift and/or carry up to 50+ pounds on a frequent basis.
- Strong communication skills (verbal & written) and ability to maintain accurate records, understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated exceptional organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of children/youth & adults.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
- Candidates should demonstrated high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are role models for students.
- Candidates should be willing to actively engage with MHS Students.
Jobs at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning
View more exciting job opportunities at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Milton Hershey School does not discriminate against applicants or employees, in hiring, promotion or any terms or conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion or religious creed, veteran status, disability or use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or any other status protected under applicable federal or Pennsylvania law.