Program Assistant, Horticultural Center- Part Time
JOB ID: 23000089
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is a tuition free, home, and private school for over 2,000 Pre-K through 12th grade students. Founded in 1909 by Milton and Catherine Hershey, the lives of more than 11,000 students have been positively transformed through MHS’s high-quality career-focused education, nurturing home life, and extensive extra-curricular opportunities. MHS boasts an amazing agricultural and environmental education program that is available to all students.
MHS is seeking a part-time Program Assistant for the School’s Horticultural Center and affiliated 135 acres of fields, greenhouses, gardens, and orchards. In addition to providing all students enrolled with agricultural, horticultural and environmental experiences, students with interest in agriculture & environmental education can enrich those experiences by taking classes, participating in clubs and activities, and working in the School’s Agricultural and Environmental Education (AEE) Program. Starting pay is in the range of $14.45 to $19.42 /hour, pay is determined based on experience. This is an on-site position located in Hershey, PA.
- Supporting the Instructional Advisors at the Horticultural Center to provide engaging, authentic, hands-on educational experiences in the horticultural center which includes greenhouses, hydroponics, outdoor gardens, blueberry, and orchard areas.
- Facilitating educational and inspiring after-school clubs and other horticultural activities and programs.
- Supporting operational functions that ensure the fields, greenhouses, gardens, and orchards are healthy, well maintained, and annually productive with products students can plant, nurture, harvest, and sell.
- Utilizing farm equipment and greenhouse mechanical systems.
- Assist with greenhouse and outdoor garden and orchard management (cultivar selection, scheduling, crop management, harvesting).
- Assist with integrated pest management systems, as well as fungicide and pesticide applications.
- Supporting the School’s Project Market (a student-run, year-round agribusiness) and oversight of Project Market produce stock.
- High School diploma or GED. Degree in horticulture or agriculture recommended.
- Demonstrated success in ensuring healthy and productive fields, gardens, and orchards of a similar scope to MHS’s resources.
- Knowledge of horticultural farming, greenhouse management, gardening, and blueberry/orchard management preferred.
- Knowledge of greenhouse and orchard management (cultivar selection, scheduling, and crop management).
- Knowledge of integrated pest management systems, as well as fungicide and pesticide application. Private Pesticide Applicators license a plus.
- Demonstrated success with hydroponics preferred.
- Demonstrated success in providing youth with engaging agricultural or horticultural educational programming.
- Experience with diverse Pre-K -12 grade students from lower income backgrounds a plus.
- Skilled in utilizing farm equipment (tractors, trucks, mowers, chain saw, pruning equipment, sprayers, plows, front end loaders).
- Proficient with Microsoft applications, Google docs, and Internet, as well as the ability to effectively incorporate various technologies into educational experiences.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate, lead, educate, and inspire.
- Ability to work 29 hours/week on a flexible schedule (possibly including weekends as needed).
- Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of integrity, as all MHS staff are considered to be role models for MHS students.
- Candidates should be willing to actively engage with students beyond the scope of their job responsibilities.
Jobs at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning
View more exciting job opportunities at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Milton Hershey School does not discriminate against applicants or employees, in hiring, promotion or any terms or conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion or religious creed, veteran status, disability or use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or any other status protected under applicable federal or Pennsylvania law.