Behavior Support Specialist – Part-Time
JOB ID: 22000017
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is seeking Part-Time Behavior Support Specialists (BSS-I) to join our Psychological Services team which provides mental health services and support to MHS students. Thanks to the foresight and generosity of Milton S. Hershey & his wife Catherine, MHS provides a cost-free home, food, clothing, healthcare and education to over 1,900 students from under-served settings. The school is expanding to serve more students and plans to increase enrollment to 2,300 students.
This professional assists with the provision of comprehensive behavioral management services to students and staff. The primary focus of this role is to provide students with structured learning opportunities that promote essential skill development necessary for successful interpersonal relationships and management of their own behaviors.
The BSS-I position requires the ability to implement individual skill work and psychoeducational skills groups for students utilizing evidence based social and emotional learning materials for youth ranging in age from grades PreK-12. Structuring the environment, behavior modification, behavior prevention and crisis intervention strategies are crucial. High level of flexibility, time management, organizational skills and good judgment required. Essential to this position is an effective, collaborative approach to working with and supporting Sponsors, Scholastics, Home Life, and Student Health Services staff members.
During the summer, the BSS-I provides crisis intervention support and behavioral services programming through the YRE program. As the psychological climate of the school’s programs evolves, this position will assist in the provision of proactive recommendations and activities to provide for the ethical and appropriate comprehensive behavioral interventions. The interventions are meant to enhance the students’ learning, emotional, social and physical well-being.
The current vacancy is to be placed at the Elementary School and hours are flexible based on students' needs with up to 29 hours per week, but most hours would fall between Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, with occasional weekends and evening hours needed. The Behavior Support Specialists are represented by Milton Hershey School Association (MHEA). Part-time employees do not receive benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology or related field required. Master's degree in psychology or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in a professional behavior management or mental health setting with children & youth.
- Experience with diverse population of adolescents who come from low-income families a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including ability to influence and collaborate with both adolescents and adults.
- Computer literacy required and excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including excellence in collaboration.
- Skills in spoken and written Spanish a plus.
- Candidates should be willing to actively engage with students beyond the scope of their job responsibilities.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity, as all MHS students are considered to be role models for MHS students.
Jobs at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning
View more exciting job opportunities at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Milton Hershey School does not discriminate against applicants or employees, in hiring, promotion or any terms or conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion or religious creed, veteran status, disability or use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or any other status protected under applicable federal or Pennsylvania law.