Middle School Science Teacher
JOB ID: 23000050
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is a tuition free, home, and private school for over 2,000 Pre-K through 12th grade students. Founded in 1909 by Milton and Catherine Hershey, the lives of more than 11,000 students have been positively transformed through MHS’s high-quality career-focused education, nurturing home life, and extensive extra-curricular opportunities.
MHS is hiring a highly qualified, dynamic Middle School Science Teacher to begin in the 23/24 school year. MHS’s Middle School serves over 600 lower-income students enrolled in 5th through 8th grade. MHS strives to provide small class sizes (average of 1/15 – 18) and well-resourced classrooms that include the use of state-of-the-art technology in a one-to-one environment for students and faculty.
The Middle School Science Teacher is responsible for delivering high quality science content aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards and using pedagogy that aligns with the Science and Engineering Practices in a collaborative planning environment.
MHS Teachers are dedicated to ensuring students are at or above grade level as evaluated by national and state standards and have a track record of state standardized assessment performance that is well above the state average. They plan, prepare, and deliver lessons that are guided by the rigor and relevance model and infuse Design Thinking and STEAM opportunities throughout the year. Additionally, they create and analyze formative and summative assessments to differentiate instruction, inform programming, and accommodate individual student and whole group needs. This position entails extensive data utilization including the ability to statistically analyze, interpret and apply the information to drive achievement. This position also requires a commitment to remediating students beyond regular classroom hours.
MHS teachers collaborate extensively with fellow faculty, especially content colleagues and the Agricultural and Environmental Education staff. Communicating student progress (strengths and needs) with students’ houseparents and sponsors is also essential. In addition to the core academic curriculum, MHS Teachers are responsible for supporting School initiatives such as social & emotional learning and wellness to ensure a whole child approach is taken to student development. Teachers are also required to schedule and complete an additional duty to their teaching schedules.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education with a Middle School Science certification required.
- Demonstrated successful science instruction experience using the Next Generation Science Standards is preferred.
- Experience with FOSS kit instruction is preferred.
- Experience working with diverse middle school students from lower income preferred.
- Demonstrated success in creating engaging, rigorous and relevant learning experiences for a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated success utilizing data to drive classroom instruction and develop instructional plans and curriculum.
- Exceptional skills in positive behavioral management & classroom management are required. Restorative justice practices experience a plus.
- Demonstrated skills in applying current trends in education including utilizing technology and integrating 21st century learning skills.
- Demonstrated skills in differentiating instruction.
- Highly skilled in effectively collaborating with others as a positive and contributing member of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills in using creative teaching strategies to increase students’ ability to think critically.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills are required.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are considered to be role models for students.
- MHS desires candidates who are “all in” and are eager to actively engage with students beyond the classroom in various extra-curricular opportunities. STEM-focused, co-curricular interest is preferred.
Jobs at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning
View more exciting job opportunities at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Milton Hershey School does not discriminate against applicants or employees, in hiring, promotion or any terms or conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion or religious creed, veteran status, disability or use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or any other status protected under applicable federal or Pennsylvania law.