Director of Agricultural and Environmental Education
JOB ID: 22000329
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is a tuition free, home, and private school for over 2,000 Pre-K through 12th grade students. Founded in 1909 by Milton and Catherine Hershey, the lives of more than 11,000 students have been positively transformed through MHS’s high-quality career-focused education, nurturing home life, and extensive extra-curricular opportunities. MHS boasts an amazing agricultural and environmental education program that is available to all students.
MHS is seeking a Director of Agricultural and Environmental Education for the School’s Agricultural and Environmental Education Program (AEE) which provides all enrolled students agricultural, horticultural, and environmental experiences. Additionally, students with interest in agriculture & environmental education can enrich those experiences by taking classes, participating in clubs and activities, and working in one of the School’s Agricultural and Environmental Education centers. MHS’s AEE program has a 1,200 acre agricultural enterprise that includes the, Horticultural Center (greenhouses, gardens, and orchards); Animal Center (three animal barns); and an Environmental center.
The Director of AEE oversees all educational programs associated with the three centers. This includes extensive student learning opportunities through educational experiences in classrooms and at AEE centers and grounds; extra-curricular opportunities such as clubs and special activities; and authentic work experiences and student work program. The Director has full oversight of all the operations related to the extensive facilities and AEE resources. The role also oversees student run businesses including The Project Market and an Ice Cream Center. The goal is to ensure all students benefit from AEE experiences to enhance their academic experiences, as well as provide students with college and career readiness experiences. In addition to competitive pay, full-time employees are eligible for an excellent benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, vision & dental insurance, and financial benefits. Starting pay is in the range of $81,855-$109,277, pay is determined based on experience. This is an on-site position located in Hershey, PA.
Collaborate with leadership to understand strategic goals and develop programming to attain and exceed those goals.
Establish, disseminate, and lead a clear and consistent college and career focused vision that supports the use of modern agricultural, environmental, and agri-business approaches, practices, and equipment.
Ensuring a rigorous and relevant academic and enrichment programming focused on college and career readiness.
Partner with the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Director to support and ensure alignment and integration of CTE pathways within AEE Center and our student run businesses.
Coordination of authentic work experiences and our student work programs related to The Project Market, Ice Cream Center, and three centers.
Develop, maintain and utilize an external network of industry and business professionals, educators, post-secondary education, and state and federal agencies to support and implement best practices.
Collaboration with STEM/Sustainability MHS residences.
Oversight of all AEE resources for the three centers (animal, horticultural, and environmental).
Supervision and development of 8 AEE staff.
Management and oversight of all AEE center budgets.
- Master’s degree required in Educational Leadership, Agricultural/Environmental Education or related area. Teacher certification a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience in leading an AEE related program.
- Depth of knowledge/experience with agricultural, horticultural and/or environmental businesses desired.
- Prior experience supervising staff and managing budgets.
- Prior experience working with diverse youth from dis-advantaged settings preferred.
- Proficient in the utilization of computer applications particularly Microsoft Office Suite. Google applications proficiency a plus.
- Demonstrated skills in developing strategies aligned with organizational goals and delivering results.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to lead, inspire and influence.
- Strong communication skills including verbal, written and platform skills.
- Exceptional multi-tasking skills to oversee multiple competing and dynamic priorities.
- Problem-solver. High degree of detail orientation required.
- Candidates should be eager to actively engage with students.
- Candidates must demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are considered role models for students
Jobs at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning
View more exciting job opportunities at Catherine Hershey Schools for Early Learning.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Milton Hershey School does not discriminate against applicants or employees, in hiring, promotion or any terms or conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion or religious creed, veteran status, disability or use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or any other status protected under applicable federal or Pennsylvania law.