Visual and Performing Arts
The Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) department offers your child a wide variety of sequential classes, activities and performing groups in all of the arts. The department offers pre-kindergarten-12th grade instruction in visual art, dance, drama and music.
VPA classes are offered from grades pre-K through 8th grade. At the high school level, students have the opportunity to add elective classes, both during school and after school. The school’s VPA program is aligned with state and national Core Arts Standards.
What can a student expect to experience in VPA?
- Elementary students have classes in art, music, dance and drama every week.
- Middle Division students participate in one marking period each of art, music and dance.
- Senior Division students must complete a minimum of one year of work in a performing or visual arts course of their choice.
Visual and Performing Arts Opportunities
- Concert, jazz and marching bands.
- Art Media evening program.
- Ballet, jazz, tap and other dance programs.
- Video production.
- Full-length theater productions in each division.
- Stage production and management.
- Elementary, middle school and varsity choirs.
- New Horizons vocal group.
- Individual and small group piano and instrument lessons.
- Art museum volunteer work.
- Hand-bell choir.
- Annual Parent Weekend performances.
- Trips to area museums.
- Piano ensemble club and other instrumental ensembles.
The department also includes the Clyde Stacks Art Museum, a modern learning and exhibition facility with rotating art shows.